Born between December 22 and January 19, Capricorns are the 10th sign of the zodiac. They're an Earth sign, so, like the bull-headed and lovable Taurus, Capricorns are known for being practical and hard-working.
But don't let their down-to-earth personalities fool you — Capricorn is actually one of the darker signs of the zodiac. Capricorns love legacy, power, and authority, and they channel a lot of BDE into everything they do.
Capricorns are movers and shakers. They're initiators who get stuff done. But they're also a little... Well, Capricorns have their pros and cons, like any sign of the zodiac, right?
Curious why Capricorns are the way they are? I'm answering the internet's top questions about Capricorns — the good, the bad, and the kinda yucky. So, buckle up!
Why are Capricorns so cold?
Did you know that the season in which when you're born can affect your personality? Capricorns are born during a downright frigid part of the year, so it makes sense that they're going to come off a little cooler.
And honestly? Capricorns are okay with seeming unapproachable. It's good for their "I'm powerful and in control" facade. Capricorns want you to see them as steady and authoritative, so they're not going to be the type of bestie who's up for late-night crying sessions.
In a nutshell, Capricorns are so cold because:
- They're pessimistic. Capricorn is an Earth sign, which means they're, well, down-to-earth. And sometimes that's … not a good thing. Capricorn's blunt and practical nature makes them a pessimist at heart, which can cause them to seem negative and cold.
- They're allergic to vulnerability. Capricorns hate showing their emotional side because they view that kind of expression as a sign of weakness. They tend to build walls to keep people out, which can make you feel like you don't really know them.
- They communicate bluntly. A Capricorn is not going to beat around the bush. Sometimes they'll be a little too judgy or make super-dark jokes that rub people the wrong way. Brutal honesty and sarcasm can make Capricorns seem more standoffish than they actually are, so don't take it personally.
Why are Capricorns so intense?
Capricorns are represented by the celestial ram, an animal known for being pretty damn intense. It isn't unusual for a Capricorn to think they know everything, which means they’re going to dig in their heels and defend their opinion to the freakin' death.
Capricorns seem intense because of their innate power. They are stubborn sticklers for tradition, which can seem like a weird obsession to someone who isn't used to Capricorn's by-the-book brain.
The good side of Capricorn's intensity is that they're able to see things through to the end. Their determination makes them a reliable friend and a powerful work bestie, but their stubbornness and intensity isn't for everyone.
Why are Capricorns so attracted to …
It is said that Capricorns know how to manipulate other people to get what they want, but they're often introverted! That's why Capricorns are so attracted to independent creative hobbies like:
- Solo sports like swimming or running
Capricorns are careful about how they spend their time. They're a highly sensible sign, so they aren't going to do things for the hell of it.
Even in creative endeavors, they like things that have a practical purpose. That's why they tend to love working on crafts that make life easier or playing solo sports to stay in shape.
Why are Capricorns so dark and depressing?
You would be a little depressing, too, if your birthday came right around the holiday season.
Jokes aside, there are actually a few good reasons that Capricorns tend to be a little depressing:
- Capricorn is ruled by Saturn. Every sign in the zodiac is ruled by a celestial body. Capricorn is ruled by Saturn, which is icy AF. This planet signifies control and fear, which are two big themes for control-obsessed Capricorns. So, yeah, you would be dark, too, if you were born with such a huge influence from Saturn.
- They have a cynical outlook. Capricorns always seem to be worried about our collective doom. They're ambitious because they want to prevent failure at all costs, but sometimes they're so realistic that they get discouraged and pessimistic about everything. This cynical, sarcastic perspective makes it easy for the Capricorn to lean into their dark side.
- They focus too much on material success. As an Earth sign, Capricorns love material things (fun fact: Ebenezer Scrooge is a Capricorn). When they become too focused on success and survival, they can come off as depressing. This is why it's critical for Capricorns to feed their soul with travel, exercise, and good friends.
Why are Capricorns so hard to love?
Are you hitting up a Capricorn's DMs? You're in for a lot of confusion if you don’t understand how the Capricorn heart (or, should I say brain) works.
Here's why Capricorns are so damn hard to love:
- They don't express their emotions. Don't ask your Capricorn bae, "What are you thinking about right now?" You're going to hit a wall, friend. Capricorns aren't into sharing their feelings. They are very honest and critical, though, so if they have a problem with you, they'll let you know. Of course, they'll probably express it in a blunt way that could hurt your feelings.
- Materialism is a big deal. Yes, Capricorn is going to expect you to give them a $200 watch for their birthday. They're an Earth sign that appreciates the finer things, so you need a budget to love them right.
- They don't like risk. If you're looking for a sweep-you-off-your-feet romance with lots of spontaneity, Capricorn isn't going to give it to you. Capricorn isn't the type of person to fall head over heels and risk everything for love. They're practical and efficient in all matters, so if you two aren't a good fit, Capricorn isn't afraid to call it quits.
Why are Capricorns so powerful?
Have you ever worked with a Capricorn? Sometimes it's downright spooky how powerful they can be when they need something.
Although Capricorn can be really intense, they can channel that intensity into power, which is awesome to see. Capricorns are so powerful because:
- They know how to manipulate situations. Capricorns are often introverted, and they'll quietly take notes about people and situations. They crave power because of the security it brings, so if you're in a Capricorn's way — watch out! Thanks to their knack for strategy and logic, they aren't above forming alliances and even manipulating people to get what they want.
- They stick with what's proven. Capricorns don't do things off the cuff. They like structure, routine, uniformity, and rules. That means they're usually successful in whatever they do, which gives them a lot of power, especially at work.
- They curate a flawless reputation. Capricorns want you to perceive them as successful. They carefully curate a reputation of prestige, status, and strength that helps them channel their intensity into real power.
Why are Capricorns so special?
Like I said, every sign of the zodiac has its pros and cons. I absolutely adore Capricorns — faults included — because their intensity and determination make them some of the most special people you'll ever meet.
Capricorns are special because:
- They're calm and patient. You definitely want a Capricorn around during an emergency. Although they're known for being a little dark and intense, it seems like they always know what to do when everyone else is freaking out.
- They're always on time. Are you sick of your entire friend group showing up late for brunch? Capricorn is going to be the one who gets there first, picks a table, and orders drinks before you even find parking. They do what they say they're going to do, and that's a rare quality in this day and age.
- They aren't afraid to work hard. Capricorns are movers and shakers. They aren't afraid to lead big projects at work, commit to a relationship, or go after their fitness goals. They're ambitious and proactive, and that's something special.
Why are Capricorns so hard to read?
Look, I'm not saying that Capricorns are emotionless robots. But compared to, say, a Pisces, they aren't going to sob over a Disney movie with you or talk about their emotions after a breakup.
Capricorns are hard to read because:
- They keep secrets. I don't mean that they harbor terribly incriminating secrets, just that Capricorns prefer to keep things to themselves. They aren't eager to gossip or complain about the flaky person in your friend group. This makes it difficult to get a good read on what they think about other people — including you!
- They have trust issues. Capricorn assumes that nobody is going to get things done as well as they will (and that could be true). But this also means they are reluctant to open up because they don't trust others to get how their brain works.
- They're anxious about having control. The Capricorn mind is an anxious one. So, if you don't understand that their entire worldview is based on predictability and control, you're gonna have a bad time.
Capricorns can be hard to reach — but they're worth the effort
Yes, Capricorns can be a little dark, moody, and tough to understand. But their determination, strength, and power make them an asset as friends, partners, and coworkers. If you manage to gain a Capricorn's trust, you'll enjoy their steady support for life.